Today, I began the New Year in a new way... I crossed something off my Bucket.List!
My husband & I have been in the mountains visiting his family for the past week. On our last day here, I had plans to learn how to use a sewing machine with his grandma. I was so excited, three of my grandparents died when I was a young girl and my grandma recently passed, but I never got to learn anything from them. I may have inherited some cooking traits but never the craft of the needle&thread. It was time to learn something that can be passed down.
We had some errands to run in the city, so we stopped to get some fabric to learn a simple lesson of hemming and threading a sewing machine. While in the fabric aisle, I noticed some crochet items and somehow they landed in our basket! I figured if I am learning one thing I might as well keep going! Six hooks, 3 balls of yarn, 1 yd of fabric, & a "Learn to Crochet" book later.. we walked out of the store. I sure gave myself a handful for the 2nd day of 2013. I hope that by 2014, I will have made several scarves, hats, headbands, booties, and maybe even 1 blanket.
Gramma Jones took me under her wing and showed me how to thread the sewing machines needle and getting started. She had me hem an old rag that she had lying around. It was rough and far from a straight stitch. Then after several laughs, we began shaping a pillow for my hubby. measured and pinned and off to the sewing machine. It was pretty simple, even the reinforcing with a double stitch. I learned about grandpa's family and life with my father- & aunt-in-laws. I even inherited a few breakable heirlooms. I had a pretty awesome day and this even my sister in law was very generous to help me understand what my crochet book was trying to say... Now it's off to YouTube to learn how to get this yarn and hook thing started.
Here is to trying new things....
No comments:
Post a Comment