Wednesday, May 7, 2014

First summer project

My first project this year happened today on a party-cloudy 45 deg weather day in Montana. I needed a place to keep all my new tulips, dianthus, grasses, and shrubs. Every year I say, "I am going to plant a flower garden by the side of the house. Every year, I say "but if I do, I will have to build something that will keep the dogs from trampling my garden. Well this year I finally decided it was time. (Maybe that's why my husband bought me an overabundance of flowers...)

It started with an idea to do a raised flower bed. I loved the idea but I had no idea how I could do it and keep the dogs out. Then, I thought about tires, but I thought it'd look tacky (sorry for those who like them, but I have enough junk in our field by our house...) Then, while I was "shopping" for ideas on Pinterest and found cute picket fences and designed a way for me to do it myself. And here's how I started... 

First I pulled out the awesome compound miter saw to cut boards to length and to cut the picket fence points at 45 degree angles. 

Then I pulled out our nail gun and air compressor with 2-inch finish nails. 

 
I used our Wen nail  gun and trusty Husky 100 psi,portable air compressor. These tools have been with me since my days of hanging trim in all our rooms of the house. I love them! I also brought out my angle level (you can use a 2- or 4-foot bar level), a hammer, Gorilla Wood Glue, and wire cutters. I also got my spade shovel and hand auger for digger hold for each post. 

Once I had all my tools out, it was time to get the wood I would use. You can use 1x1s, 1x2s, 1x4s, and 1x6 of any wood type. For this project, I used the 1"x6"x6' (thickness, width, length) natural pine boards we had from when we were going to build a piracy fence. I also used 4- 4"x4"6' posts. 

I used 19 boards: 14 boards for the pickets and 5 for the braces behind. The length of my fence was 
 27-1/3'. You will have to customize your list for your size of garden. 

Cut list:
56-18" 1x6s
4-60" 1x6s 
2-46" 1x6s
7- 20" 4x4 posts

Cut each of the 56 1x6s so they have a picket point like this:
 

You can angle the miter saw to cut 45 degree angles. Measure the halfway center point at the end of each board and mark it with a dot. Then cut at an angle so each side meets the center top of the board. 



Once you've cut all these, it's time to put your posts in the ground. I measured my holes to fit my garden. The first post hole to dig is in the corner. Each hole is approx. 4-5" deep, but each post must be dug equally to line up with the last post. I measured 46" to the corner by sidewalk and dug the next hole' the next four holes are 60" apart and then 46" to the last corner post, like this: 


Each measurement will match the lengths of you 1x6s (in my case, 2-46" & 4-60"). Once all the posts are dug and secured into the ground using the hand auger and spade shovel, it's time to hang the 6 pre-cut 1x6s for your picket braces. Be sure to level out the braces before nailing them to the post. 



Using 3 nails per post, nail the ends of the boards to each post so that each board is nailed at the center of the 4x4 post (2").  



Once all your boards are up, the easiest part comes next. Nailing your picket fence boards up on the braces. This is the fun part and most simple. Start on one end, and work your way to the end. Where the brace buts up to the back of the picket board, place a long line of wood glue. place the board on the brace, leaving about a 1/2" space to the ground.  


 Continue to do just this all the way around. 


You'll get a finished product, like this: 


If you want you can stain, seal, or paint your fence. I haven't decided what I'd like to do. That's for tomorrow! Stay tuned for more summer projects. Next, I'll be posting my famous rustic pallet jewelry cabinet. Enjoy!!!












1 comment:

  1. Julie wishes to remind everyone that the sales shed, which raises valuable funds for the Broadway project is open every Wednesday and Saturday from 10 am till 4 pm. Do call in and grab a bargain.
    Chris has made a very nice wooden sign for the shed - it is now known as Grannie Arkwright's!
    wood fence gate

    ReplyDelete